Smithyhaugh

   SMITHYHAUGH, a village, in the parish of Auchterarder, county of Perth, 2½ miles (E.) from the town of Auchterarder; containing 391 inhabitants. This village, which within the last few years has rapidly increased in extent and population, is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Ruthven, and in that part of the parish which was anciently the parish of Aberuthven, now annexed to Auchterarder. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in hand-loom weaving for the manufacturers of Glasgow, and in the woollen-manufacture, for which there is a small factory on the river for shawls, blankets, and similar articles. On the same stream are numerous mills, as noticed in the account of the parish, from which circumstance the village probably derived its previous appellation of Miltown.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Auchterarder —    AUCHTERARDER, a town, the seat of a presbytery, and a parish, in the county of Perth, 54½ miles (N. W.) from Edinburgh; containing, with the villages of Borland Park and Smithyhaugh, 3434 inhabitants, of whom 2068 are in the town. This place… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.